Friday, August 14, 2009

Just Wait


















Just wait.. Just wait....

I have often wondered if that is what it means to be Mommie?

When my children were 3, 1 1/2, and a newborn, I was astonished to how busy my days would be. Getting through the day, keeping diapers changed, the dishes washed, and supper on the table was a major accomplishment.

Undoubtedly, another mom whose children had passed the current ages of my children would comment, “You think you are busy now. Just wait until all three are walking. You find yourself going trying to go in three different directions at the same time.”

As time went on and the youngest was walking; I reached a major milestone. I learned how to juggle the three babies, housework, laundry, and pastoring at the same time.

Again... I heard.....

You think you are busy now. Just wait.....

You don’t know busy until they go to school, and you are trying to juggle homework, teacher conferences, band practice, football practice, and PTA meetings.

We made it through the days of music lessons, Christmas programs, spelling tests, and grade cards; still intact as a family.

Again... I heard....

Just wait... When the kids are teenagers you’ll have to put up with three times as much mess and teenagers’ attitude can cut to the bone.

Well, the mess would get to me at times, but we choose to be busy and on the go. I discovered the “attitude” is often frustration. Choices need to be made, confusion sets in, and frustration is evident in the attitude.

As of today my crew is 32, 30, and 29, and I’m still waiting.....

Waiting for each one to find the perfect will of God in their own heart. Waiting for the right mate to be their choice of companion. Waiting for the changes that happen as your children mature into confident, caring individuals.

When time shall be no more, like the old song says; will the waiting be over?

Can we enjoy what is happening right then, or will we hear, “You just wait! You think it is glorious now, just give it a few years and we’ll having a great time.”

I want God to show me how to enjoy each day to the fullest, remember yesterday with tenderness, and anticipate the future with confidence and faith.

1 comment:

  1. Ben was headed to Iraq in just a few days when this was taken. Kristin smacked him because he kept saying he wondered if that was his last Christmas to be at home. Little sister keeps the older brothers in line.

    ReplyDelete